Contact Cement Mat Installation
Please read through instructions before starting.
1. Purchase a good water-resistant contact cement, we recommend, Dap Weldwood “Red Label” which we sell and can also be found at many hardware stores. You will need about 16 oz for a full mat set. Do Not work in direct sunlight.
2. For removal of riveted mats: Drill the rivet head off, pushing balance of rivets through hull. DO NOT use silicone to fill holes, the contact cement will not bond to it. You can use a 2 part non-sag epoxy to fill holes, or they will be sealed once mat is glued in place.
3. For removal of glued mats: Try pulling the old mats up slowly while using a putty knife to help work up the mat. You do not have to get 100% of the old mat off. Just make sure the surface is relatively flat and is free of any loose material. Should you want to completely remove the old mats and glue, you can use acetone or adhesive remover. Apply to surface and allow a few minutes to soften glue before wiping up with a clean rag.
4. Once the existing mats are off, prepare surface by lightly sanding. You want a rough surface as the glue will not bond well to a shiny, smooth surface. Wipe off any sanding dust.
5. Once the surface is clean, you are ready to glue down your new Hydro-Turf mats. Work with one piece at a time. Apply a thin layer of contact cement to both surfaces (fiberglass & flat side of mat). Allow contact cement 3-5 minutes to set up (will no longer be shiny) before putting two surfaces together.
6. Press mats firmly, working you way from the center of the mat and then concentrating on edges.
7. For best results, allow glue to set up for 12 hours before using. Any excess glue can be cleaned off mats or ski with acetone or adhesive remover on a rag.
1. Do not place your mats in the sun prior to installation, they will shrink and will become unusable.
2. Always store your craft in a shaded area or use a PWC cover when not in use
3. Should your Hydro-Turf get dirty it can be cleaned using any soap or cleanser and a brush. Be sure to rinse thoroughly, as any leftover residue can make a slippery surface.